Please note that this job has expired and is for reference only. See our active listings for jobs.
Roles and Responsibilities
Under the direction of the City Manager and CAO, the Commissioner will lead all Divisions of the Planning & Building Department and will champion corporate projects that support the City’s strategic planning priorities. You will use your experiences, insights, strategic mindset and practiced leadership to build relationships and define future vision, plans, goals and objectives of the Planning & Building Department.
As an executive level contributor, you will provide innovative, strategic and professional development advice, recommend and lead priorities for the City, and facilitate future development strategy. Partnering with community stakeholders and internal partners, you will liaise with all levels of government, municipal agencies, industry specific sectors, and the public to represent the City, build business relationships, and promote the City’s vision.
The successful candidate must possess the ability to inspire confidence in others, strategically set goals and foster a results oriented learning culture. Critical to the success in this role is the ability to mentor and mobilize teams to execute a comprehensive strategic plan; enhance performance and build public trust by understanding the impact of decisions, issues and outcomes to the City’s business needs and strategic priorities.
As the Commissioner of Planning & Building, you will lead your team to develop policy initiatives to best service community interests; partner with external stakeholders to ensure City interests are protected and City building initiatives are achieved and create Departmental Strategic Plans which align with Corporate strategic goals. Your priorities are to:
- Ensure the City’s land use policies and planning frameworks are updated to leverage development along the LRT corridor and the waterfront; to deliver on the City’s vision of a complete city, one that is livable, walkable, promotes active transportation and facilitates employment growth;
- Engage the community in developing the vision for future city development which balances the community’s needs with the provincial expectations around growth and intensification;
- Inspire a diverse team of professionals and foster a culture of continuous improvement aligned to customer service outcomes;
- Support Economic Development initiatives to attract and retain business in Mississauga;
- Support Members of Council on complex and sensitive planning issues;
- Collaborate on City building initiatives, and be a role model for teamwork, breaking down silos and working across all lines of the organization; and
- Identify and mentor new talent, and support succession planning initiatives.
- University degree and the designation of a Registered Professional Planner in Canada or internationally.
- At least 15 years in executive-level leadership roles.
- Politically savvy, organizationally-wide thinker who can clearly link operational strategies to corporate priorities
- An inspiring and visionary leader, focused on developing relationships, advancing corporate excellence, and achieving strategic priorities.
- Exceptional leadership skills, business acumen, strategic planning, negotiating and communication skills contribute to your dynamic leadership capabilities.
- Approachable, hands-on, and an active contributor.
- Passionate about place making and urban development.
- Has led initiatives related to affordable housing, accessible transit, and the walkability of communities.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills essential to work with all levels of staff, elected officials and members of the public, agencies and community groups.
- Ability to effectively manage staff; motivate, coach and mentor staff ensuring that appropriate development strategies and plans are in place to develop a high-performance team.
- Possess a high level of integrity and trust with proven success in developing and building relationships and professional networks.
- Knowledge and understanding of the role of Council and the municipal relationship with the regional and provincial levels of government.
- Knowledgeable in the requirements and implementation of the Ontario Provincial Planning Act, Municipal Act, Conservation Authority Act, the Provincial Policy Statement, the Growth Plan, Ministry of the Environment acts and regulations, and all area specific acts and plans applicable to Mississauga. For candidates coming from outside Ontario, we appreciate that these specific regulations and acts will need to be studied.