Please note that this job has expired and is for reference only. See our active listings for jobs.
The Capital Division at the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) manages the entire capital process from start to finish, including scope meetings, design, procurement of contractors and construction completion. We are proud to be the country’s largest employer of landscape architects, with over 100 currently on staff working on in-house and consultant-managed designs. We also have a large pool of architects and engineers, in addition to resident engineers who oversee the daily activities of contractors, budget and procurement staff, and many other talented employees.
DPR is currently implementing an aggressive capital campaign to build new parks, refurbish existing public spaces and ensure that every New Yorker lives within a 10-minute walk of a park or playground. DPR is committed to improving the lives of future generations by expanding and redefining New York City’s treasured green spaces.
• Working under the Borough Landscape Design Director, prepare and monitor project schedules for in-house and consultant landscape projects for new and remodeled Park facilities.
• Supervise a team of landscape designers and consultants to ensure projects are completed within budget and on schedule.
• Utilizing AutoCAD and other software, prepare and/or supervise the preparation of contract drawings. Develop specifications, cost estimates and estimates of quantities for proposed work.
• Provide technical assistance and support to staff as needed. Conduct or direct a significant portion of research for landscape architecture projects.
• Review contract drawings and specifications prepared by others prior to issuance for bid to ensure work meets agency and community goals and all applicable interagency codes, regulations, filings and approvals.
• Mentor and train landscape design staff and new employees.
- Review staff submissions to obtain necessary Federal, State and City regulatory approvals for proposed designs.
- Present projects to agency stakeholders, other governmental agencies and departments, contractors and their representatives, consultants, community members and the general public.
1. A valid New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect; and a master’s degree in landscape architecture (which must be obtained by January 31, 2015) from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional or specialized agencies recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and by the Council of Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and three (3) years of full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work; or
2. A valid New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect; and four (4) years full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work.
NOTE: Current New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect must be maintained for the duration of your employment.
SPECIAL NOTE: In addition to above qualification requirements, to be eligible for placement in Assignment Levels II and III, individuals must have at least one year within the last three years of experience as a major contributor or a project leader on a complex project requiring additional and specific expertise in the disciplines needed to design or construct the project.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
1. At least five years of experience leading a multidisciplinary team of professionals or managing consultant contracts.
2. Knowledge of the following specialized disciplines: sustainable/“green” design, ecological restoration, historic preservation, conservation, ADA/universal design concepts, horticulture, urban design and public art.
3. Strong design skills and the ability to communicate design concepts in graphic and written form.
4. Proficiency in Photoshop, PowerPoint and SketchUp or an alternative 3D rendering software.
5. Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
6. A commitment to teamwork and an integrated approach to project delivery.
7. A driver license valid in New York State.
Salary: $84,000 – $97,000 excellent benefits
Posted on 5/12/17
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
1) Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
2) Search for Job ID#: 289222
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks
References will be required upon request.